Tuesday, September 20, 2011

American Eventing Championships - Atlanta Georgia (pt 1)

I've been meaning to write this entry since we got back from Georgia but I felt that I first needed to recover and absorb all that had happened while we were there.  Now Amanda and the other girls that went probably saw things differently and not forgetting that they were there (in Georgia) for two days before I got there, but this is what I recall.

Tuesday morning I texted Amanda asking her how things were going (the ride, the horses, ect).  Her response, "Not good.  I'll call you in a minute."  All I could think was $h!t, what happened?  Turns out, even thinking worse case scenario the way I usually do I wasn't very far off.  The truck they were using to haul to Georgia (our truck) was broken down on the side of the road outside of Buffalo, Tx.  They made all of an hour and a half before the truck broke down.  *heavy sigh

So what are we going to do?  There are two horses on a trailer, and no more options for trucks to haul to Georgia.  Thankfully Amanda's mother (my most outstanding mother-n-law!) has a diesel dully but she is on the other side of Fort Worth.  Well mom-n-law volunteers that the girls take her truck to Georgia, but it is going to take her about three hours to get down to Buffalo. 

Ok.

Well she can't drive the broken truck back three hours to Ft. Worth which means that I have to clean Amanda's car and put gas in it to pull a three-way trade with the girls and mom-n-law.  So I get the car cleaned out and gased up and head to Buffalo.

I get to where the girls are and find that there is NO WAY (I mean HEAVY HEAVY emphasis on NO WAY) that our truck is going to make it to Georgia, 15 hours away hauling a goose-neck and two horses.  So eventually mom-n-law makes it to Buffalo and we all swap vehicles.

At this point in the story I have to leave if there is any chance of making it back to College Station in time to get to class.  Coincidentally I did make it to class, but only for the last 30 minutes.  Whatever, I made it. 

After 24 hours of being on the road of the horses being on the trailer and the girls attempting to be on the road, the girls finally made it to Georgia. 

I would be flying out on Thursday to meet up with them. 

*gotta stop here, because I have to go to class*

No comments:

Post a Comment