Monday, August 15, 2011

Leap of Faith

It occurred to me over the weekend, that I have an unusual approach to life.

I’m sure that those of you that know me find this very hard to believe ;)
I, myself, don’t believe it for a minute.
While I am not “religious” (per se) I do have a great amount of faith.  I have faith that things ultimately work out the way that they are supposed to, despite your best efforts to screw them up; faith that if you are willing to trudge the path set before you, no matter how daunting, you will eventually reach your goal.

I took a HUGE leap of faith this past week.

I quit my awesome* job because it was going to interfere with my school schedule.  Even though there are hundreds of Americans out there looking for jobs, I am too close to finishing this degree to slow down now.  If I were to work the schedule they wanted, it could add an addition year to my graduation date.
*Awesomely easy; couldn't retire from it, but it pays the bills.

Besides, this way I can say I’m doing my part to help create jobs.  Right?

I have a little more than a year left and I feel like it is time to get some experience in a classroom before I am actually thrown into a classroom.  We all had those teachers that we could smell their fear when they walked into the classroom and I am not about to be that teacher.
Furthermore, I am not afraid to work.  I’ve literally held every type of job from fast-food to newspaper delivery, and at times multiple at a time.  I am not above any type of work that can help support my family.
At the same time that I am writing this, my boss just finished interviewing for the part-time position we have posted.  There was actually a woman who was offered the position and declined because it would mess up her welfare.
*Glad to see you have your priorities straight.*

Maybe that’s my answer.  Screw work!  Forget bettering myself! Welfare pays better and I could be sitting at my house right now instead of stressing to find a part-time position that is going to be willing to work with my insane school schedule this semester. 
So here I am, poised on the edge of a ledge both feet off of the ledge, and hoping that I made the right decision. 
Thankfully, Amanda is supportive.

1 comment: