Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bone Marrow Donation: Day 1 Injections

I got the first injections today, Sunday, January 8th, to donate Bone Marrow on Thursday.  We had to drive down to Houston, Pearland to be exact, so that I could meet with the coordinator and they could ensure that I didn't have a reaction to the first dose.

I should probably explain.  I'm being given filgrastim once a day for five days to increase the number of red blood cells in my body.  Doses 2,3, and 4 will be given to me here in College Station by a nurse recently retired from this program.  On the fifth day, the day of the donation, I have to be at the hospital at about 8am and will get the 5th and final shot.

I'm told that the side effects include achy muscles and bones, like the onset of the flu.  While I'm not in pain (yet) I am already starting to feel the effects.  Thankfully I'm only going to feel like this for a week, but the lady who needs the donation hasn't felt good for awhile.  I think I'll keep mine.

Another plus of all of this is that my beautiful, caring, thoughtful wife has agreed to take care of me and I'm not sure she knows what she is in for.  Since she and I have been together, I can't remember being sick very often.  And no way am I grumpy when I'm sick ;)

I've also been forced to agreed to try to behave, but as I've told my loving wife I've tried before and I'm not very good at being good.

Maybe I'll be able to keep up with the blog this week, since I don't think I'm going to be doing much else.  I basically have an excuse to lay around the house.  WAHOO!!!!

If you are interested in finding out more about becoming a Bone Marrow Donor, you can click on the picture or this link.  Be The Match

--------------------------------------------
On a school note:

I got my books ordered for the Spring semester.  I did pretty good, spending less than $100 for three classes.  I have to purchase access to a web program that is going to cost me about $130 still, but seriously 4 classes and less than $300.  There have been some semesters that I paid nearly as much for books as I did to take the classes themselves.

I'm ready to be back. I'm almost ready to go back.  One more week should be enough to push me over the edge and send me running back!

No comments:

Post a Comment